Saturday, March 19, 2011

An Italian. A Dog. And the Practice Cake.

It all started with a Christmas present and a Labrador Retriever named Nyla Claire Nippington

My son, Cameron unwrapped a shiny new DSi game from Santa Clause this past Christmas. If I would've know then what I know now … I would've asked BEGGED Santa to reconsider. This child has become absolutely, utterly, uncontrollably, ridiculously OBSESSED with the little Italian brothers from Mario World. "Stupid Goomba!" shouldn't be in any 3 year old's vocabulary. None-the-less … it's a frequently visited phrase in Super Cameron's World. 

Now, hold that thought.

Said Christmas present … Super Mario Bros.
Shortly before Christmas we decided to get a new puppy and not just any puppy, a Labrador Retriever! Did you hear me? I said a Labrador Retriever, ya'll! 

#1. What in the name of sweet baby Jesus was I thinking? I'm fully aware of their reputation. I saw Marley and Me. 

#2. There really isn't a number 2. It all refers back to number one. 

Anyhoo, it was touch and go for a while but, we've grown to love her. Flaws and all. She chews up everything and pee's on everything else. Don't tell anyone that I said this but, honestly we couldn't have chosen a better pooch. Any other dog would have eaten Cameron's face off on day one. But, not Nyla. She allows him to pluck her whiskers, pull her tail and steal her chew toys on a regular basis. She takes all of his 'abuse' in stride. So, yay her! 

Now, hold that thought. 

Said Labrador Retriever … Nyla
Back to Mario Brothers … 

Cameron will be four on the 31st of March (I cannot believe he's almost a whole hand worth of fingers old … Don't worry, I'll refrain from any of the other motherly cliches like "Oh, how time flies" and "He'll be graduating college before we know it"). For his birthday, we're throwing him the party of his dreams … "Cameron's Super Mario 4Up Birthday Party"!

I decided that I would try to make a Mario Brothers cake for his birthday party this year. Brave soul, I am. I've never made a real cake. I leave all of the cake making to my grandparents. With cakes like theirs, it makes it hard for kitchen clumsy gals like myself to compete. That being said, I decided that I better make a practice cake. I spent most of the day measuring, mixing, filling icing bags, cutting cake dowels and taking any www.youtube.com advice I could get. I was finally finished (though the real cake will look almost nothing like the one I made today) and I was PROUD! I mean look at this cake. 

It's B-E-A-U-TIFUL (for a beginner) !!!

The Practice Cake. The real one will sport fancy Mario and Luigi figures upon it. 

Back to Nyla Claire Nippington … 

One hour after my practice cake was completed, I walk into the kitchen to find this

The Practice Cake after Fur-Face ate the front off. 


At first, we weren't sure who had done this to the beautiful practice cake. It was kinda like our own personal game of Clue. 

Was it Cameron … in the kitchen … with a spatula? 

Was it Mommy … in the kitchen … with her face (this scenario was courtesy of Cameron)? 

Was it the cat … in the kitchen … with her paws? 

It couldn't have been Nyla. She was only unattended for 3 minutes. 

And then we spotted it. Blue icing on her right whisker and cake crumbs in her fur. 

NYLA CLAIRE NIPPINGTON!!!!! 

Shame on you, poochie! I'm pretty certain that it is only a matter of time before she's blowing blue chunks on my tan and black (mostly tan) kitchen rug. She's been in an icing induced coma since the 7 o'clock cake eating frenzy. 

Grrrrrrrrr …. Good thing it was only the practice cake!  

Wish me luck for next week, as I try to make a cake for family and friends. Hopefully, Nyla will keep her oversized dog tongue out of Cameron's REAL Birthday Cake. 

:o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahahaha "Hey Goomba!"

Post a Comment